Reset Button

A year ago today I was sitting in my car in the middle of a barren desert, headed on the adventure of a lifetime. With my best friend Betsy We had set out across the country for a month long journey with our final destination being Burning Man Arts Festival in Black Rock City Nevada. We went, we saw, we conquered! In that time I was able to create an important part of my book "Ashe in Wanderland" dropping this November 13th on my website www.jeaninenewell.com In addition to a wide array of experiences, photographs and memories, during this time I was also given the opportunity to reflect, to stop my normal work/life patterns and to hit the "reset button". By having this time off to step back and reevaluate my career, life and goals I was able to embrace the many changes that came about in the past year with confidence and open arms.
Now it is officially one year later and I am sitting at my studio office desk, feeling a bit lost and antsy. Once again I am about to embark on a new set of journey's traveling around the east coast, shooting portraits for the next few months. In this time I will be living out of my suitcase and random hotels, working on piecing together promotional materials and the last bit of editing needed for completing my book. In an effort to recreate the feeing I got from my time being "free" to reset my peace of mind in the desert, I have taken on the challenge of using my home in the Adirondacks and camping/hiking as a way to wipe the slate clean. Interestingly enough, in doing so I have come to many conclusions about where I feel happiest and most productive in life right now, more so than I did while traveling all over the world. It's funny sometimes how staying "home" and reflecting on life can be more informational than adventuring to new locations. This is not to say I don't miss exploring the country, in fact it's the opposite. I feel more restless now than ever.
On a side note, it is not that I don't enjoy "home" or seeing my family/friends, in fact it is the opposite. I enjoy it more than not, however recently I have come to the conclusion that for me to be at my happiest I need to use my studio/home and all in encompasses in small doses as my reset button. My life and career thrive best when put to the test physically, mentally and emotionally. I get hyped about projects, seeing new places, meeting new people and just living. If I spend too much time in one place or at home, I start to loose my way, feel claustrophobic and sometimes even depressed. With my latest experiment on using the woods to "reset" my headspace and body I once again feel confident in putting my best foot forward towards my goals personally and professionally.
This in no way is advice or an endorsement to anyone to quit their job, sell their place and live the life of a wandering artist. It's not always glamourous, nor profitable, or even practical yet it is what I have come to find works best for me and my career at the moment. This isn't to say that I am giving up my studio or "home" in the ADK anytime soon. It just means that my mind is now clear on how to make the most of my time professionally and personally when I am there.
With all of this in mind, Thursday I head out for Long Island to a friend's apartment and for 2 weeks of straight work and traveling. For the next 2 months my focus is on my book,and portrait work. In addition, my friend and I are venturing into the world of Vlogging on Youtube (this should get interesting) as a way to keep us entertained on the road and inspired to create work. When it comes down to it, there is no right or wrong way to get inspired if in a funk. Just take a good look around and find your reset button so that you can start fresh and make the most of all your adventures.

Comments