Returning to my Roots.

So I am not one for making New Years resolutions, however I am always striving to better myself professionally and personally. I find the best way for me to do this and motivate myself is art projects. A few years ago I was feeling very stagnant in my work and career so I challenged myself to a 52 week project where every week while traveling and working I photographed a coffeecup in my surroundings. Then two summers ago I took on another project to push myself in a different way. For the few months I was working at Woodward East, teaching at summer camp I photographed one image a day using only my GoPro Hero 3 camera. Mostly recently I spent the last three years building and creating a semi-autobiographical book "Ashe in Wanderland" which was published this November.
Now is the time as a new year approaches to try something different; to bring me back to my roots and to remember the reasons I fell in love with photography in the first place. Starting tomorrow January 1st 2016 until through most of the month of April when I head back to New York for work I will be challenging myself to photograph one image a day (theme yet to be determined) trying to use only black and white trix-400 film (I have 3 rolls left) and my trusty Nikon FE2. The idea behind this challenge is to slow my pace and to reconnect with my true passion for photography as a fine art medium.
With publishing my book, yes some of the book was shot in film however,the majority of the book dealt with digital editing, commerical marketing and pushed me in the business sense of my craft to new limits. Now I want to take a step back and push myself in the artistic sense of the medium going back to the darkroom, film and the moment I fell in love with photography. I also feel strongly that this project will help me to better refine my skills and in the long run make me a better photographer.
And so it begins another unknown journey down the rabbit hole so to speak, to create, learn, improve and inspire. See you on the other side my friends.

Comments